School Governance and Organization
Greenwich Country Day School is incorporated under the laws of the State of Connecticut as a nonprofit educational institution, a tax-exempt entity under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. All current parents are voting members of the Corporation. Additional past parents, former trustees, and long-term faculty and staff members are elected to the Corporation annually. At the Annual Meeting held in October, the Corporation elects trustees.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for hiring and evaluating the Headmaster, ensuring the financial stability of the school, and formulating major policies concerning the future direction of the school. The Board’s focus is on the long-term health and stewardship of the school, while the Headmaster is charged with the day-to-day administration of the institution.
The Greenwich Country Day School is accredited by the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools (CAIS).
GCDS submits an accreditation review to the CAIS every ten years, as well as interim reports every five years.
"From a rigorous academic experience, to TIGER PRIDE, to the valuing of diversity, the students, faculty, administration, Board, and parents have embraced every word of the GCDS mission statement and translated its mission tenets into visible practice.” - CAIS Accreditation Review
Board of Trustees 2019-20
- Vicki Craver, President
- Dwight Anderson*
- Carrie Freeman Braddock, Parents Association Vice Chair
- Wear Culvahouse
- Kristin Custar*
- Hiram (Chip) Emery '86
- Leslie Fahrenkopf Foley
- Rob Harteveldt*
- Merrilou Hillenbrand
- Sonal Khichadia*
- Eileen Ohnell Kim '88
- James T. Mabie
- Will Manuel
- Magdalena Zavalia-Miguens
- Daniel Offit
- Shahryar Oveissi '95
- Cheryl Packard, Parents Association Chair
- John L. Roach
- Jeffrey Robertson
- Adam C. Rohdie, Headmaster, Ex Officio
- Katherine Shaio Sandhu '91
- Vernon Schwartz
- Peter Schweinfurth
- Emily Hoffman Stern '90
- Frederick (Caleb) Watts
- Jonathan B. Weiner
- Adam Rohdie, Headmaster
- Anne Allen, Assistant Head of Lower Elementary School
- Bill Auerswald, Chief Financial and Operating Officer
- Nina Basinet, Dean of Faculty
- Chrissy Colón Bradt, Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Rick Columbo, Assistant Head of Upper School
- Flynn Corson, Head of Middle School
- Trudy Davis, Head of Lower Elementary School
- Kim Eves, Director of Strategic Communications
- Tom Hart, Director of Technology
- Tim Helstein, Athletic Director
- Jacqueline Jenkins, Head of Upper Elementary School
- Debbie Kerrick, Chair of Performing and Visual Arts Department
- Andrew Niblock, Director of Schoolwide Initiatives
- Anabel Pérez Wills, Director of Alumni Relations and Development
- Cheryl Plummer, Director of Admission and Financial Aid
- Andy Ramirez, Director of College Counseling
- Chris Winters, Head of Upper School
- Johnna Yeskey, Dean of Studies
Faculty and Staff
During the 2019-20 school year, 320 faculty and staff members support teaching and learning at GCDS. Working closely with the Headmaster and Division Heads, the faculty continually refine and improve Country Day’s curriculum and pedagogy.
Led by the Parents Association Board, the GCDS Parents Association (PA) organizes the energy and talent of Country Day's parent body to run programs and events that enrich the lives of our teachers and students and promote a sense of community throughout the school. All GCDS parents and guardians are members of the Parents Association.
Alumni Advisory Council
Long after graduation, alumni ties with the school remain strong. The Alumni Advisory Council works with the Alumni Office on decisions pertaining to Country Day's alumni.