How to Apply - The Admission Process
- Learn more about GCDS!
- Schedule Parent/Guardian Talk and Tour
- Complete Testing
- Student Visits
- School Records
- Check Your Application Status
The Admissions Team looks forward to welcoming you to our beautiful, 92-acre campus. We invite you to join us for an optional campus group tour led by a current parent. Tours are offered Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m., Wednesdays at 8:30 a.m., and Fridays at 9:00 a.m. and last approximately 90 minutes. We offer tours that provide a broad overview of the Nursery through Grade 12 experience on our Old Church Road Campus as well as tours that focus more specifically on Grades 6 through 12. Please choose the tour that you feel will be most helpful for you and your family. Students applying to Grades 6 and higher are welcome to join the tour.
Tours will conclude with a 30 minute discussion session which will provide information about the signature elements of the GCDS Upper School (Grades 9-12), curricular and co-curricular offerings, and renovations of the Stanwich Road campus.Click here to schedule
The group tour is helpful, but not required. All applicants and their parents will have the opportunity to see the Old Church Road campus, as well as view virtual renderings of the new Upper School campus for Grades 9-12 (Opening 2019), during the required Parent Talk and Tour and student visit.
The application deadline for the 2019-20 school year is December 15, 2018. The application should be completed online with the $75 application fee. Fee waivers are available for those families applying for financial assistance. Please call our office for details. Applications should be submitted prior to the scheduled date of the Parent Talk and Tour. Be sure to confirm the age requirements for your grade level of interest before submitting the application.
In addition to the application, students applying to Grades 6 and higher must submit a completed student questionnaire and a graded writing sample
The Talk and Tour is a required part of the application process for those families who do not currently have a child enrolled at GCDS. If you are a current GCDS parent, an additional tour and interview is not required but may be requested.
Parent Talk and Tours are offered Monday through Friday from mid-September through January at 8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m., and 11:00 a.m. Please allow approximately 90 minutes for your visit. At this time, you will speak with an Admissions Director and also have the opportunity to see spaces of interest on campus.
Please note: We want each family to have a productive, enjoyable visit to campus. If any member of your group may benefit from a specific accommodation, such as an interpreter, please notify the Admissions Office as soon as possible at (203) 863-5610.
Click here to schedule!
Entrance tests are one of many pieces of the application that we use to determine the most appropriate placement for each student.
Grades 3 and 4
- All applicants for grades 3 and 4 are required to take the Educational Records Bureau (ERB) CTP 5 test.
- CTP 5 Testing will be offered at GCDS on:
- Saturday, November 10, 2018
- Saturday, December 1, 2018
- CTP 5 Testing will be offered at GCDS on:
- Please note:
- The CTP 5 is administered at several participating independent schools in the Greenwich area. Families may register to test at any school serving as a test site and request that scores be sent to any of the participating schools. CTP 5 testing should be completed by January 15. Early registration is encouraged as space is limited at all test sites.
- To register for the test, send the Common Admissions Testing Program registration form and $75 fee to the school where the testing will take place. Fee waivers are available for GCDS applicants who test at GCDS; contact the GCDS Admissions Office for additional information.
- Students applying for grades 5-12 are required to take the Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) or the Secondary School Admissions Test (SSAT). Applicants may take the ISEE or SSAT at any test site. To register, visit www.iseetest.org or www.ssat.org. When registering, please list GCDS as one of the schools to which your child is applying so that test results will be sent directly to us. Our ISEE school code is 071009. Our SSAT school code is 3580. Early registration is encouraged as space is limited at all test sites.
ISEE testing will be offered at GCDS on:
- Saturday, December 1, 2018
We look forward to getting to know each applicant and giving students the chance to discover more about us and experience what it is like to be a GCDS Tiger. Each applicant will be invited to spend time with us on campus to meet and work with faculty and students. We will do everything we can to make your child feel welcome and comfortable.
- Nursery through Kindergarten: Each applicant for Nursery, Prekindergarten, and Kindergarten participates in an admissions assessment in January. This assessment occurs in a group setting and is designed to evaluate a child’s readiness for our academic program. It is not a diagnostic assessment, but instead is an evaluation of developmental milestones that are appropriate for your child’s age.
- Grades 1 through 3: Applicants will spend time during the academic day visiting classes and meeting individually with one of our learning specialists.
- Grades 4 through 12: Applicants will spend time during the academic day visiting classes. Applicants for Grades 6 and higher will have an admissions interview during his or her student visit.
Current Teacher Recommendations help us better understand your child as a learner.
All recommendation forms should be sent directly to the GCDS Admissions Office by your child’s school no later than January 15.
Please note: If the applicant’s current school does not allow teachers or school officials to provide recommendations, please give the Extracurricular Recommendation Form to at least one individual who has worked with your child in an educational setting outside the classroom (eg. a sports coach, a religion teacher, or music instructor).
Nursery: If your child is currently enrolled in a preschool program, please have your child’s current classroom teacher or head of school complete the School Recommendation form. If your child is not currently enrolled in a formal preschool, please disregard this step.
Pre-Kindergarten-Grade 5: A recommendation from the applicant’s current classroom teacher is required.
Grades 6-12: Recommendations from the applicant’s current English and mathematics teachers are required.
Please sign the Report and Transcript Release Form and give it to the principal or director at your child’s current school. All official school records must be sent directly to the Admissions Office by your child’s current school no later than January 15.
Report and Transcript Release Form
GCDS will notify families of admission decisions by mail in late February. We appreciate the time and attention that your family will devote to this process and your interest in GCDS. Our Admissions Team looks forward to working with you and your family as you make this important decision for your child.