Greenwich Country Day School is Recognized by the USHFC as a National Leader in Healthy Dining
Each day, the GCDS dining service provides a variety of wholesome, nutritious, and homemade foods. In keeping with the school’s long tradition of family-style dining, meals are prepared each day from scratch. Care goes into selecting organic and locally produced ingredients and into preparing daily choices that are both healthy and appealing to children.
- All meat is hormone- and antibiotic-free and comes from animals raised on organic feed.
- All milk products are sourced from a local dairy, which uses only organically fed cows that are never given artificial growth hormones.
- Vegan and vegetarian items are offered every day.
- The tofu is organic and never made with genetically modified soybeans.
- Olive and canola oils are exclusively used in all food preparation.
- An assortment of organic whole grains is featured throughout the menu, including whole-wheat couscous, farro, quinoa, and millet.
In addition to the main entree, vegetable dish, and two daily soup offerings, the following items are available each day.
- Organic Mixed Greens with a choice of at least 5 different homemade dressings
- A specialty salad or sandwich
- Fresh raw and steamed seasonal vegetables
- Organic Tofu
- Anti-biotic Free Chicken
- Assorted Legumes
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Homemade Low-Fat Egg Salad
- Homemade Low-Fat Tuna Salad and/or Chicken Salad
- Assorted Cheeses
- Assorted Lean/Nitrite-free deli meats
Organic Yogurt and Fruit Bar
- Freshly Sliced Seasonal Fruit
- Whole Fruit
- Organic Low-fat Stonyfield Yogurt
- Low-fat Cottage Cheese
- Homemade Whole Grain Granola
- Raisins and Dried Cranberries
- Sunflower Butter
- Assorted Jellies – All-Natural, containing no High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Organic and Conventional Butter & Cream Cheese
- Hormone-free Skim & 1% Milk
- Filtered Water
- Natural Light Fruit Juices
Assorted Fresh Bread, Rolls, and Bagels
- A daily assortment including whole wheat, multi-grain, and rye items.